How do I obtain a Marriage License?

This page provides basic information and instructions pertaining to obtaining a license and getting married under the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Any two single, divorced or widowed individuals, 18 years of age or older may apply for a license to marry. You do not need to live in Newport News to obtain a license here. Licenses are obtained in the Circuit Court Clerk’s office located on the first floor in the Courthouse Building at 2500 Washington Avenue in downtown Newport News across from City Hall. Both parties must be present and each must present a government issued, pictured i.d. such as a driver’s license. There is no blood test required and you do not need to bring a copy of any divorce decree - however, you will be required to swear under penalty of perjury that the information you are providing, including your marital status, is truthful and correct. You will be required to furnish your social security number but this number will not show on your license. The license may be used only in the Commonwealth of Virginia. You cannot legally marry in another state using a Virginia marriage license. The license to marry must be used within 60 days, after which it expires. If you do not marry within 60 days Virginia law requires that you return the unused license to this office. If you still wish to marry you must apply for a new license. Your ceremony must be conducted by an official authorized to perform marriages by a Virginia court. Most members of the clergy affiliated with a local congregation have this authorization. If your ceremony is to be performed by an out of state clergy member coming here specifically for your wedding he or she must first contact this office for further instructions. If you wish to marry in a civil ceremony you should contact one of our marriage commissioners. Their names and phone numbers are on business cards available when you apply for your license. The cost of the license is $30.00 payable in cash or check drawn on a Virginia bank. You may also pay by credit card, however a 2% convenience fee is charged for this service. Certified copies may be ordered and paid for at the time of application for an additional fee of $2.00 per copy. Marriage licenses are issued weekdays from 8 AM to 4 PM. We are not open on weekends or on state or federal holidays. Although there is no waiting period to use your license you should not wait until the last day before your planned wedding to obtain your license as the courthouse is subject to close for emergencies at any time without advance notice. All persons, bags and packages entering the courthouse are subject to search by court security and you will be required to pass through an x-ray scanner upon entry. Do not bring with you anything that could be considered a weapon, any controlled drug substances or other contraband and do not bring your cell phone. Also, the courthouse is not an environment suitable for children. Should you have children you should make every effort to have them cared for elsewhere while you and your fiancée conduct your business with the court. Congratulations and best wishes on your upcoming wedding.

Show All Answers

1. How do I obtain a Marriage License?
2. What do I need to do to perform a marriage in Virginia?
3. If I file my own divorce, is there a package or a model I can get from the Clerk's Office to help me?
4. If I file my own divorce, can I just give copies of the papers to my spouse?
5. After I file my divorce does the court let me know what to do next?
6. Do I file my divorce in Newport News?
7. If I need advice on substantive legal matters concerning my divorce or a change of name petition, may I get that from the Clerk's Office or the judges' administrative assistants?
8. Where can I find the Code of Virginia, the Rules of the Virginia Supreme Court, local rules of the 7th Judicial Circuit, form books and other aids?
9. How do I legally change my name?
10. How do I legally change the name of my minor child?
11. What should I do after I get my name changed?