How do I legally change my name?
As an adult, you may petition the Circuit Court in the city where you live. The court will determine whether good cause exists under the circumstances alleged in the petition. Pursuant to §8.01-217, Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended, the following are required in the petition:
  • The petition must be made under oath (you must swear to the truth of the allegations in the petition after having been placed under oath by a Notary, and that Notary must acknowledge on the petition that you were placed under oath and swore to the truth of the allegations in the petition and that you did sign the petition)
  • Your place of residence
  • The names of both of your parents, including the maiden name of your mother
  • Your birth date and your place of birth
  • Your felony conviction record, if any. If none, that must be stated
  • Whether you are presently incarcerated or a probationer with any court (if not, that must be stated)
  • Whether your name has been previously changed [if so, list your former name(s)]
  • Your affirmation that this name change is not sought for any fraudulent purpose and would not infringe upon any rights of others

Show All Answers

1. How do I obtain a Marriage License?
2. What do I need to do to perform a marriage in Virginia?
3. If I file my own divorce, is there a package or a model I can get from the Clerk's Office to help me?
4. If I file my own divorce, can I just give copies of the papers to my spouse?
5. After I file my divorce does the court let me know what to do next?
6. Do I file my divorce in Newport News?
7. If I need advice on substantive legal matters concerning my divorce or a change of name petition, may I get that from the Clerk's Office or the judges' administrative assistants?
8. Where can I find the Code of Virginia, the Rules of the Virginia Supreme Court, local rules of the 7th Judicial Circuit, form books and other aids?
9. How do I legally change my name?
10. How do I legally change the name of my minor child?
11. What should I do after I get my name changed?