Do I file my divorce in Newport News?
You may file in Newport News if:
  1. The defendant in the divorce lives in Newport News as of the date of filing
  2. The two of you last cohabited as husband and wife in the City of Newport News
  3. You are the plaintiff and live in Newport News and the defendant is either a non-resident of Virginia
  4. The defendant's present whereabouts are unknown

Please note that your reason for filing in Newport News must be clearly stated in your Bill of Complaint, and if you allege either (3) or (4), you will have to obtain service of your Bill of Complaint on the Defendant by publication (§8.01-316 and §20-104, Code of Virginia) or personal service outside Virginia (§8.01-320, Code of Virginia).

Show All Answers

1. How do I obtain a Marriage License?
2. What do I need to do to perform a marriage in Virginia?
3. If I file my own divorce, is there a package or a model I can get from the Clerk's Office to help me?
4. If I file my own divorce, can I just give copies of the papers to my spouse?
5. After I file my divorce does the court let me know what to do next?
6. Do I file my divorce in Newport News?
7. If I need advice on substantive legal matters concerning my divorce or a change of name petition, may I get that from the Clerk's Office or the judges' administrative assistants?
8. Where can I find the Code of Virginia, the Rules of the Virginia Supreme Court, local rules of the 7th Judicial Circuit, form books and other aids?
9. How do I legally change my name?
10. How do I legally change the name of my minor child?
11. What should I do after I get my name changed?