Is Waterworks the same as HRSD?

No. We are two completely different organizations. Waterworks is a department of the City of Newport News – the Department of Public Utilities. We provide drinking water to Newport News, Hampton, Poquoson, York County and the Grove area of James City County. HRSD, the Hampton Roads Sanitation District, is a political subdivision of the Commonwealth of Virginia with a Board of Commissioners, selected by the Governor. HRSD provides wastewater treatment for all of Hampton Roads, including the Southside.

Show All Answers

1. Who do I contact to have water connected or questions about my water bill?
2. If I’ve sold a house, when the buyer turns on the water does that automatically end the seller’s account or does the seller still need to contact Waterworks Customer Service?
3. What is the Waterworks emergency number to report a water main break?
4. Is Waterworks the same as HRSD?
5. Who in the city can help me with low water pressure?
6. Can you recommend a plumber?
7. Who do I call for a minor outdoor water emergency, like a leaking water meter?
8. Are there fire hydrant problems that are causing me to lose water pressure?
9. Who is responsible for maintaining fire hydrants?