I have been flooded, how do I get help?
The Flood Assistance Program (FAP) acquires, relocates, or elevates structures located in the floodplain based on their risk of flooding. To be eligible, the home must:

  • Be located in the 100-year floodplain

  • Have a finished floor elevation below the 100-year flood level

  • Have been under construction before December 31, 1974

There are 3 types of assistance alternatives considered by the program.

  • Structure and property acquisition: This assistance involves the city buying your property and its improvements in order to eliminate the flooding damage.

  • Structure elevation: This assistance involves the city raising your structure so that floodwaters would no longer enter and cause flood damage.

  • Structure relocation: This assistance involves relocating your structure to a location that is not subject to flood damage.

The Newport News Flood Assistance Program is a voluntary program. Applications for 2008 Fiscal Year funding will be accepted in late summer or early fall. During that period, applications will be available for pickup at the Department of Engineering (City Hall, 8th floor) and all main library branches. If you have any questions, please email the Engineering Department.

Show All Answers

1. What services does Engineering provide to the city?
2. Where do I go to complain about stormwater flooding, debris, fish kill or illegal dumping?
3. There is someone working in the Right-of-Way: how do I find out who it is and what kind of work is being done?
4. I was involved in a traffic accident, how do I get information for traffic signals and timings?
5. How do I get information on traffic counts?
6. What is the Residential Parking Permit Program (RPPP) and where do I go for petition forms?
7. There is a streetlight that has been out for sometime, how or who do I contact?
8. What do I do to find out if the timing on a traffic signal / flasher are correct or could be changed?
9. How are Stormwater Service Charges calculated?
10. The city is running a smoke test in my area, are they dangerous?
11. Where can I find a listing of all the streets in Newport News?
12. How do I find out what streets are closed?
13. How do I find out about the new Citywide Signal System?
14. The sewer connection fees have changed, how do I find the new rates?
15. A sign has been damaged, how do I get it replaced?
16. How can I get flood zone verification?
17. I have been flooded, how do I get help?
18. Where do I find the bike routes / paths in Newport News?
19. Are there signs available indicating that there are deaf / blind children living in a residence on a city street?