The traditional kick-off to the summer season, Memorial Day is Monday May 29, and the Newport News Police Department is committed to making it a safe experience. The long weekend always brings increased travel, increasing the risk for more car accidents. Statistically, Memorial Day is one of the most deadly holidays when it comes to car accident fatalities. At the Newport News Police Department, we want you to enjoy the holiday and are providing some important safety tips-including driving tips, personal safety tips, water safety tips and fire safety tips. "We hope you find these tips helpful and that your holiday is a big success,” said Chief Myers, Chief of Police.
- Most importantly, DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE. Assign a designated driver, call a Taxi or use an Uber service. Our officers will be on high alert for suspicious driving patterns that may indicate someone is impaired while operating a motor vehicle. We will also increase DUI patrol during the holiday weekend.
- Stay alert. Don’t use your cell phone or any other device while driving.
- Make sure everyone is buckled up – front and back seat – and that children are properly restrained.
- Drive defensively and exercise caution – watch out for the other guy.
- Make sure your vehicle is in good working condition.
- Avoid being on the road if at all possible – especially during inclement weather.
- Lock your vehicle and set antitheft devices, if available.
- Don’t leave valuables in your vehicle – including laptops, GPS systems, iPods, etc.
- Don’t walk alone – especially at night. And, when walking, don’t be distracted. For example, don’t talk on your cell phone.
- Lock your house doors and windows.
- Set house alarms and notify neighbors if you are going to be out of town.
- Try not to use your ATM at night – if you need to use it, go into a store.
- Don’t carry large sums of cash.
- Always carry identification.
- Don’t swim alone.
- Swim only in designated areas where there is a lifeguard.
- Treat diving boards with respect – know the depth of the water.
- For privately owned pools, make sure you have approved rescue equipment available and nearby.
- Make sure there are barriers limiting access to privately owned pools and hot tubs.
- Keep a phone nearby in case of an emergency.
- Make sure children are supervised and within arms-length.
- Know what to do in case of an emergency. If a child is missing, check the pool.
- Inspect your grills propane gas tanks hose for any leaks, and keep the lid open before lighting.
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- Never leave your grill unattended and keep a 3-foot safe zone around your grill.
- After charcoal grilling, place coals from your grill in a metal can with a lid once they have cooled.
- Fireworks of any kind are illegal in Newport News.
- Open burning is prohibited in Newport News.
- If you need additional information on Fire Safety, call the Newport News Fire Department Prevention Bureau at 757-247-2332.
In the case of an emergency, call 911. Give your name, location, phone number, and the nature of the emergency.