Halloween is Friday, October 31st, and in the City of Newport News, trick-or-treating activities are limited to kids 12 years of age and younger and should end by 8 pm.
The Newport News Police Department offers the following Halloween safety tips:
- Children should travel in groups and should be accompanied by an adult who is familiar with the neighborhood and the residents.
- Use a flashlight to light your way and to help others to see you.
- Children should only enter a home if they are with a trusted adult.
- Never go to a home that is not well lighted.
- Wear well fitting and highly visible costumes and shoes to avoid trips, falls and blocked vision.
- Eat only factory wrapped treats, avoid homemade treats. Examine all treats for choking hazards and tampering before eating them.
- Parents, consider organizing or attending parties at home, in schools, at churches or in community centers as an alternative to trick-or-treating.