Beginning Tuesday, February 1, 2022, the Newport News Animal Welfare Division, which provides animal control services for both the city of Newport News and the city of Poquoson, will modify its operating schedule. Animal Welfare Officers will respond to general animal control calls for service from 7:00 AM until 6:00 PM daily, taking emergency service calls only from 6:00 PM until 7:00 AM.
Emergency service calls include the following:
- Sick or injured animals.
- Animal cruelties where the life of the animal is in danger or an animal has been killed.
- Bites from stray animals.
- Animal bites involving serious bodily injuries.
- Vicious or dangerous dogs.
- Police, Fire, or EMS emergency assistance calls and search warrants.
- Large livestock running stray.
Citizens may e-mail their non-emergency complaints and questions to email@example.com from 6:00 PM to 7:00 AM every night. We will respond to these concerns during our normal patrol hours.
We look forward to returning to our regular, normal patrol hours as soon as possible!