Yesterday evening, Jonah Dwight Sims, a 23-year old Newport News man, was arrested in reference to the homicide that occurred on September 16, 2019 in the 600 block of Dresden Drive. Mr. Sims has been charged with:
(1) MURDER: 1ST DEGREE
(2) OCCUPIED BLDG: MALICIOUSLY SHOOT/THROW
(3) MALICIOUS WOUNDING
(4) ASSAULT: (MISDEMEANOR)
(5) BURGLARY: ENTER BUILDING TO MURDER/RAPE
(6) BURGLARY: ENTER BLDG TO COMMIT LARCENY/A&B
(7) MONUMENT: UNLAWFUL DAMAGE, NO INTENT TO STEAL
(8) FIREARM: USE IN COMMISSION OF FELONY, 1ST OFF
(9) FIREARM: USE IN COMMISSION OF FELONY, 1ST OFF
(10) FIREARM: USE IN COMMISSION OF FELONY, 1ST OFF
(11) FIREARM: POSS BY NON-VIOL FELON CONV NOT W/IN 10Y
After communicating and coordinating with the NNPD Fugitive Apprehension Unit, Mr. Sims turned himself in to police. “I want to thank the citizens who helped identify Mr. Sims, the officers and detectives who worked the scene, and the Fugitive Apprehension Unit,” said Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew.
The victim has been identified as Kayleigh Christian Ellifritz, 24, of Newport News.
Mr. Sims is currently being held in the Newport News City Jail without bond.