The term “Black Friday” was coined in the 1960s to mark the kickoff to the holiday shopping season. “Black” refers to stores moving from the red to the black, back when accounting records were kept by hand and red ink indicated a loss, and black a profit.
Ever since the start of the modern Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 1924, the Friday after Thanksgiving has been known as the unofficial start to the holiday shopping season.
The Newport News Police Department would like to share some important safety tips for your shopping security:
- Try not to shop alone.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Shop during the day.
- Keep your packages in your trunk.
- Park in a well-lit area.
- Keep your children in sight at all times.
- Never leave your car running.
- Always lock your car.
Shopping online is a good alternative but does come with some risks. Here are a few tips for online shopping:
- Use a credit card vs. a debit card.
- If possible, use a disposable credit card, i.e., prepaid card or gift card.
- Always use a secure site. A secure site will begin with https:// vs. http://.
- Never “store” your information if asked.
Please share this information with your family and friends.