The citizens of Newport News who buy and sell items online may now conduct their transactions at the Newport News Police Department Headquarters located at 9710 Jefferson Avenue, Newport News, VA 23605.
By providing a public place, especially our police headquarters, you don’t have to worry about going to an unknown person’s home or other location that may not be safe.
For your convenience, we have designated two parking spaces in front of the building to conduct your safe exchange. The spaces have 24-hour video surveillance. Transactions should be made between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Please take the same common sense precautions online as you would offline. When meeting someone to make an exchange, please remember to:
- Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe, bank, shopping center, or our Headquarters building.
- Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home.
- Be especially careful buying/selling high value items.
- Tell a friend or family member where you're going.
- Take your cell phone along if you have one.
- Consider having a friend accompany you.
- Try to conduct your transaction in the day time.
- Only carry the cash you need for the transaction.
- Trust your instincts.
These safe exchange spaces are meant to facilitate person-to-person transactions. Property may not be left unattended. Large bulky, and/or cumbersome items (i.e. appliances, furniture, etc.) are not allowed. And, of course, the exchange of any contraband, stolen property or other illegal items or the conduct of any unlawful transactions is prohibited.
Please keep in mind that neither the City of Newport News nor the Newport News Police Department is a party to any transaction that may be conducted between private citizens. They assume no responsibility or liability whatsoever for any loss, damage, injury, or other consequence from a citizen conducting a private transaction on NNPD Headquarters property. No member of the City or Police Department will assist with, guarantee, ensure, insure, safeguard, or otherwise participate in such transactions. Nor do we guarantee that a police officer will be on the property at all times.