Newport News Now is a daily e-newsletter that launched in March 2016. Articles that ran in our newsletter between March 2016 and March 2018 are available on these pages. Newsletters produced beginning in April 2018 can be viewed on our new daily newsletter page.
View All Posts
Posted on March 28, 2017 at 9:56 PM by Communications Department
• An average merit increase of 3% based on performance for eligible City employees effective July 1, 2017.
• Higher health insurance premium costs, resulting in an increase of $3.3 million to the General Fund.
• Lower debt service payments for outstanding General Obligation Bonds supported by the General Fund equal to approximately $1.76 million or 4.7% less than the current year amount.
• City funding for 35 Community Support agencies. Regional Organizations to which the City belongs are to receive a slight increase in funding over FY 2017. Additionally, Hampton Roads Transit’s funding will increase for operating costs and limited route changes.
• Funding for a Day Services Center for the homeless in the amount of $320,273. The Center will provide shelter and access to basic human needs for the homeless, including health services, integrated case management, housing assistance, and training and learning opportunities.