There’s nothing better than a beautiful green lawn during the spring and summer months. With a little planning, you can get your yard in tip-top shape! Here are
some easy tips for working smarter, not harder, when it comes to lawn care and outdoor watering.
• Test your soil before applying fertilizer. A soil test provides a list of recommendations for soil treatments to help you make the right decisions for your lawn.
• Use compost and mulch in flower beds to retain moisture. Mulch also can reduce or eliminate weeds that compete with landscape plants for moisture, nutrients and sunlight.
• Install a rain barrel to capture rain for outdoor uses.
• Use a rain gauge and only water your lawn when there's less than one inch of rain per week. The best time of day to water a lawn is in the morning as it helps to prevent the growth of fungus on plants.
• Newly-seeded lawns should be mowed early and often, leaving 1.5 to 2.0 inches of grass height.
Interested in more tips for beautifying your lawn? Visit askhrgreen.org
to find information more about the best lawn fertilizers, pesticides, and workshops.