Newport News Now is a daily e-newsletter that launched in March 2016. Articles that ran in our newsletter between March 2016 and March 2018 are available on these pages. Newsletters produced beginning in April 2018 can be viewed on our new daily newsletter page.
View All Posts
Posted on March 15, 2017 at 8:26 AM by Communications Department
• Test your soil before applying fertilizer. A soil test provides a list of recommendations for soil treatments to help you make the right decisions for your lawn.
• Use compost and mulch in flower beds to retain moisture. Mulch also can reduce or eliminate weeds that compete with landscape plants for moisture, nutrients and sunlight.
• Install a rain barrel to capture rain for outdoor uses.
• Use a rain gauge and only water your lawn when there's less than one inch of rain per week. The best time of day to water a lawn is in the morning as it helps to prevent the growth of fungus on plants.
• Newly-seeded lawns should be mowed early and often, leaving 1.5 to 2.0 inches of grass height.