Blog module icon

Newport News Now

N3 Blog header

Newport News Now is a daily e-newsletter that launched in March 2016. Articles that ran in our newsletter between March 2016 and March 2018 are available on these pages. Newsletters produced beginning in April 2018 can be viewed on our new daily newsletter page.

View All Posts

Jan 25

City Council Meeting Recap

Posted on January 25, 2017 at 11:20 AM by Communications Department

council recap_SC

Crime Briefing
At a work session yesterday afternoon, Police Chief Rick Myers provided City Council with a briefing on crime in Newport News.  In looking at comparison data, crime is lower than it was 20 years ago and Newport News is above the national average for clearing cases. However, the level of homicides and shootings is concerning and Chief Myers discussed the city’s ongoing efforts to keep Newport News safe. Enforcement efforts have included a Violent Crime Reduction Task Force, Gang Enforcement, Crime Line, Neighborhood Enforcement Action Teams, technology linking guns to offenders, manpower reallocation and continuous recruitment with multiple academy classes. Myers stressed the importance of community engagement in addressing crime and  highlighted many of the city’s ongoing community outreach programs and initiatives.


FY 2017 Bond Authorization
At last night’s regular meeting, City Council held a public hearing and then approved a bond authorization for the adopted FY 2017 Capital Improvement Plan. This provides flexibility for the City to issue bonds when market conditions offer the best financing options. The authorization is for $66,870,0000 – 80% or $53,325,000 of which is for General Fund supported capital projects with the remaining 20% or $13,545,000 for projects in the self-supporting funds of Wastewater/Sewer Rehabilitation and Stormwater. Below is a summary by category of projects the authorization supports.
 Purpose  Amount
 Community Development  $35,850,000
 Parks & Recreation        750,000
  Public Buildings     1,500,000
 Schools     6,140,000
 Sewer Rehabilitation     5,150,000
 Stormwater Drainage     8,395,000
 Streets & Bridges     9,085,000
 Total   $66,870,000
 
Change of Zoning for 615 Bland Boulevard
The request to change the zoning of 3.4 acres at 615 Bland Boulevard from light industrial to retail commercial to allow for retail development has been continued until the February 14th meeting per applicant request.

Refunding of Bonds

City Council also approved a standing authorization for calendar year 2017 for the City to refund up to $42,000,000 of General Obligation and/or Water bonds. This approval stipulates that the refunding would only occur if market conditions are such that it would result in a net present value savings of at least 3%.

Other Actions
All other agenda items were approved by City Council, and the entire Council meeting can be viewed on-demand.

Next Meeting
The next regular meeting of the Newport News City Council will be Tuesday, February 14th. City Council typically meets the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month at 7:00 pm in City Council Chambers, City Hall, 2400 Washington Avenue. Meetings are shown live on the City's Cable Channel NNTV (Cox Ch 48/Verizon Ch 19) and are streamed live on www.nnva.gov/nntv. City Council meetings are also available to be watched on-demand the day following the meeting. Oftentimes City Council holds work sessions in the 10th floor conference room of City Hall in the afternoon before the regular meetings. Work sessions are open to the public. Agendas for work sessions and regular meetings are available online in the Agenda Center the Friday before the meeting.