As a reminder to Newport News citizens, the last round of roadside loose leaf collection be
gins on Tuesday, January 3. Because of the uncertainty of time to complete the final collection, all residents should have their leaves out at curbside by 7 AM, January 3. Here are some guidelines to follow when raking leaves to the curb:
- Rake leaves into a pile at the edge of the road, but not in the curb/gutter or drainage ditch.
- Do not pile leaves such that they block traffic.
- Leaves mixed with twigs and branches will not be picked up.
- Do not cover water meters or utility boxes.
- Burning of leave is not permitted in the City of Newport News.
- Leaves placed in clear plastic bags are collected year around on regular bulk waste collection days; however, there is a limit of 30 clear 33 gallon bags per collection.
More information on the Roadside Loose Leaf Collection program can be found on Public Works’ Street Maintenance Division website
or by contact the City’s 311 Center at 933-2311 or email@example.com