Newport News Now is a daily e-newsletter that launched in March 2016. Articles that ran in our newsletter between March 2016 and March 2018 are available on these pages. Newsletters produced beginning in April 2018 can be viewed on our new daily newsletter page.
View All Posts
Posted on December 14, 2016 at 9:18 AM by Communications Department
- $300,000 through the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement (CMAQ) program for the Citywide Intelligent Transportation System Upgrades project. The funds will be used to improve the City’s traffic signal information systems to maintain efficient movement of people and goods throughout the City.
- $400,000 in Federal Transportation Alternatives Program funds for the Washington Avenue Pedestrian Improvements and Streetscape project. The project includes sidewalk, crosswalk and lighting improvements from 30th Street to 34th Street and are the second phase of a larger pedestrian plan for downtown Newport News. The first phase of improvement was constructed in conjunction with the new Newport News Shipbuilding Apprentice School.
- $755,000 through the Highway Safety Improvement Program for the Warwick Boulevard at Harpersville Road Intersection Improvements Project. Project elements include replacing the existing span wire traffic signal with a more visible mast arm, construction of a northbound left turn lane, and pedestrian improvements.
- $900,000 in additional CMAQ funds for improvements to signal timings that will ensure the traffic signal system operates in an efficient manners as traffic patterns on City streets change over time.
- $1,240,076 through the Virginia Department of Transportation’s Smart SCALE grant program for the Warwick Boulevard over Lake Maury Bridge Replacement project. The bridge was built in 1931 and widened in 1960. The bridge is in poor condition and is in need of replacement as it is reaching the end of its useful life. This $8.2 million project will be funded through a combination of State Revenue Sharing Program funds, City matching funds, and Smart SCALE Program funds.