Blog module icon

Newport News Now

N3 Blog header

Newport News Now is a daily e-newsletter that launched in March 2016. Articles that ran in our newsletter between March 2016 and March 2018 are available on these pages. Newsletters produced beginning in April 2018 can be viewed on our new daily newsletter page.

View All Posts

Oct 17

What To Do if Your Home Has Flood Damage?

Posted on October 17, 2016 at 7:53 AM by Communications Department

The Virginia Department of Emergency Management has developed an information document titled “What to do if your home has flood damage?” This information is provided for citizens across the Commonwealth of Virginia to assist in the recovery process in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew. You can access the information at the Virginia Emergency Management website.
This information helps citizens understand what actions they need to take when returning home after the Hurricane, provides information on filing insurance claims, and gives contact information for the National Flood Insurance program, the document emphasizes the need to report personal damage to your local government at the listed contact number.

It is also important to realize that localities and the Commonwealth are in the early stages of assessing damage from Hurricane Matthew. At this time there has not been a Presidential (federal) declaration. The process of requesting a federal declaration will take a minimum of 30 days, and a declaration is never guaranteed. If a Presidential (federal) declaration is received, FEMA registration information will be distributed to the localities included in the declaration.

Newport News Citizens should report their Hurricane Matthew Damage to the City of Newport News 311. We also want to remind everyone that If you want to help others in need through donations, it is better to send cash donations. Quite often survivors do not need or can’t use goods that are donated by generous fellow citizens.