Newport News Now is a daily e-newsletter that launched in March 2016. Articles that ran in our newsletter between March 2016 and March 2018 are available on these pages. Newsletters produced beginning in April 2018 can be viewed on our new daily newsletter page.
View All Posts
Posted on September 26, 2016 at 8:04 AM by Communications Department
• The oldest identifiable golf club in the world, made in 1790.
• The oldest book in the world in reference to golf, dating back to 1566.
• The oldest golf ball in the world (made in 1790). The museum has 150 golf balls dating from 1790 to 1932.
• The largest collection of long-nosed wooden clubs in the world. The museum has 85.
• Two 19th century golf medals, one from 1826 and the other from 1838.
• Harry Vardon's complete set of clubs and golf bag from his win at the 1900 U. S. Open
• The putter used by Horace Rawlins when he won his first U.S. Open in 1895.
• Three clubs used by Bobby Jones in his championship years, including the Grand Slam in 1930.
• Clubs donated by Gene Sarazen, Sam Snead, and other golf legends.
• A map of the Old Course at St. Andrews, drawn on a scroll in 1836.