Newport News Now is a daily e-newsletter that launched in March 2016. Articles that ran in our newsletter between March 2016 and March 2018 are available on these pages. Newsletters produced beginning in April 2018 can be viewed on our new daily newsletter page.
View All Posts
Posted on July 27, 2016 at 9:12 AM by Communications Department
• Increase fluid intake, regardless of activity level. Don't wait on thirst to drink.
• Spend time in locations with air-conditioning
• Don't drink liquids that contain alcohol, or large amounts of sugar—these actually decrease body fluid. Avoid very cold drinks, because they can cause stomach cramps.
• If working outside for 2 or more hours, it is important to have a glass of water every 15-20 minutes
• Wear light colored, loose clothing.
• Limit sun exposure during mid-day hours and in places of potential severe exposure such as beaches.
• Do not leave infants, children, or pets in a parked car.
• Provide plenty of fresh water for pets and leave the water in a shady area