The NNPS First Step Preschool is a free voluntary early childhood instruction program designed to help four and five-year-old learners gain an understanding of their world through developmentally-appropriate experiences. Students are exposed to literacy, math, science, and social studies in addition to daily art, music, and physical activities. Transportation is provided to and from school.
To be eligible for the 2018 – 2019 First Step program the child must:
- live in a Newport News Public School zone;
- have a birthday between October 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014 to be eligible to participate for the 2018-2019 school year;
- be completely toilet trained;
- have a preschool pre-enrollment appointment through the NNPS First Step Office is required; and
- meet State requirements for eligibility. (Based on parental income, education, homelessness and special education needs services.)
Children are accepted into the program until March 31st based on available space. For more information or to make an appointment call 283-7788 ext. 12183. To learn about the program, visit the NNPS website