Posted on October 31, 2017 at 10:04 AM by Communications Department
Loose leaf collection begins November 27
Roadside loose leaf collection for Newport News begins on Monday, November 27. This year, the Street Maintenance Division of Public Works is conducting the annual loose leaf collection from the end of November to January. Residents are asked to rake leaves to the edge of the road during the time designated for your area (see collection schedule
), without blocking traffic or drainage ditches, and crews will pick them up. Each street will be collected once during the week indicated on the map
. For residents that miss the first collection, a final collection will take place beginning January 2.
Here are some guidelines to follow when raking leaves to the curb.
- Please wait until the week prior to the start of your scheduled collection to place your leaves at the roadside.
- Rake leaves into a pile at the edge of the road, but not in the curb/gutter or drainage ditch.
- Do not pile leaves so that they block traffic.
- Leaves mixed with twigs and branches will not be picked up.
- Do not cover water meters or utility boxes.
- Burning of leaves is not permitted in the City of Newport News.
- Leaves placed in clear plastic bags are collected year around on regular bulk waste collection days; however, there is a limit of 30 clear 33 gallon bags per collection.
More information on the Roadside Loose Leaf Collection program can be found on Public Works’ Street Maintenance Division website
or by contacting the City’s 311 Center at 933-2311 or firstname.lastname@example.org