Blog module icon

Newport News Now

N3 Blog header

Newport News Now is a daily e-newsletter that launched in March 2016. Articles that ran in our newsletter between March 2016 and March 2018 are available on these pages. Newsletters produced beginning in April 2018 can be viewed on our new daily newsletter page.

View All Posts

Sep 27

City Council Recap

Posted on September 27, 2017 at 9:28 AM by Communications Department

City Council Meeting Recap small

Ferguson Enterprises’ new campus in City Center

In June,  Ferguson Enterprises announced plans  to create a new campus in City Center at Oyster Point. The $82 million investment will create 434 new jobs and retain over 1,000 jobs. Last night, City Council appropriated $2 million in Commonwealth Opportunity Fund grant money to the City’s Economic Development Authority (EDA) in support of the Ferguson Expansion Project. City Council also approved an appropriation of $1.7 million from the Capital Improvement Plan’s Community Development Category in support of infrastructure and development projects associated with this expansion. These funds are to obtain the development rights on the land and for the design and preliminary work associated with the 1500-space parking garage, extension of Pearl Way and other related infrastructure improvements. The EDA has committed to providing Ferguson the land necessary for the new campus as well as potential future expansions.

Appropriations approved
The following appropriations were approved by City Council at last night’s meeting:
  • $169,165 for the Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) Program – These funds are local, state and federal grant funds as well as donations  will be used for volunteer training and coordination, special programs for CASA children, and in support of daily operations of the program. CASA trains community volunteers to serve as advocates for children found by the court to have been abused or neglected, or who are at risk of being abused or neglected. CASA volunteers advocate for placement in safe, permanent, and nurturing homes.
  • $10,992.43 for the Main Street Library – In 2005, Dr. Herbert H. Neisser left a bequest of approximately $2 million to the Main Street Library. Guidelines established by the Library Board of Trustees state that 85% of the interest earned each year is to be used for projects that directly benefit the Main Street Library with the remaining 15% returned to the endowment. This year $10,992.43 is available for disbursement and will be used for youth programming and training and for the Neisser Speaker Series.
Other Actions
All items on last night’s regular City Council meeting agenda were approved, and the entire Council meeting can be viewed on-demand.

Next Meeting
The next regular meeting of the Newport News City Council will be Tuesday, October 10. City Council typically meets the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month at 7:00 pm in City Council Chambers, City Hall, 2400 Washington Avenue. Meetings are shown live on the City's Cable Channel NNTV (Cox Ch 48/Verizon Ch 19) and are streamed live on www.nnva.gov/nntv. City Council meetings are also available to be watched on-demand the day following the meeting. Oftentimes City Council holds work sessions in the 10th floor conference room of City Hall in the afternoon before the regular meetings. Work sessions are open to the public. Agendas for work sessions and regular meetings are available online in the Agenda Center the Friday before the meeting.