Non-profit organizations can now apply for designation as an official 2018 One City Marathon charity. Applications are available on the marathon website at www.onecitymarathon.com/
. The deadline to apply is August 25. The number of charities selected is determined once applications have been received and reviewed. Preference is given to organizations located in Newport News and those that serve Newport News residents.
Through a careful selection process, partner status is awarded to organizations that best address a community need, demonstrate effective impact on the community and provide a creative plan to get involved with the One City Marathon. Partnerships are for one year and are not a guarantee for future events as the marathon strives to partner with new organizations each year.
Criteria for organizations to apply to be an official One City Marathon charity are:
· Must be a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit;
· Must be in operation for a minimum of one year;
· Must commit to a minimum of four runners (excluding the Nautical Mile); and
· Must guarantee a minimum of 20 volunteers for the event weekend.
The selected charitable partners benefit from:
· Promotion on the marathon website and through social media;
· Booth space at the two-day One City Health and Wellness Expo and at the One City, One Celebration post-race event;
· Donation opportunities through the “Run for Free” program where runners can receive a free entry by raising a set amount of money on behalf of one of the official charities; and
· Use of the Crowdrise platform to directly solicit individual donations.
About the Newport News One City Marathon:
Presented by Newport News Shipbuilding, the fourth annual Newport News One City Marathon takes place Sunday, March 4, 2018. The marathon course runs the entire 26 mile length of the city, with Newport News Park as the setting for the start of the race and the Victory Arch in downtown serving as the finish line. Along the way, the certified course takes runners pass various cultural amenities, educational institutions, businesses and neighborhoods. The marathon, which also offers a relay option, culminates at a One City Celebration festival at Victory Landing Park as runners race through the finish line. In addition to the marathon, there is also an 8K Run/Walk and a Kids Fun Run. Marathon weekend (March 2-4, 2018) will also include a Health and Wellness Expo and other community focused events.