Recovery Operations Center (ROC)

The Recovery Operations Center offers additional disposal options for Newport News residents as well as mulch and compost sales to all people. Our services include:

Trash and recycling drop off

Trash drop off is only available to residents who pay the Solid Waste User Fee (must show proof of primary residency in the city and current payment of the Solid Waste User Fee as shown on the utility bill).

Recycling drop off is available to all Newport News residents. For a list of accepted recyclable materials, see the main Recycling page.

Brush and vegetative debris disposal:

Available to Newport News residents who pay the Solid Waste User Fee (must show proof of primary residency in the city and current payment of the Solid Waste User Fee as shown on the utility bill). Landscaping contractors can also dispose of brush and vegetative waste that was generated at an eligible residence if they show a work order or invoice for that residence.

Electronic Waste

Effective July 16, 2019, ALL electronic waste which includes TV’s and computers / monitors, will be accepted DAILY (Monday thru Saturday)


Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

Household Hazardous Waste are NOT ACCEPTED at this time.

See the HHW web page for more information.

Scrap metal disposal

Available to anyone. Acceptable scrap metal can include grills, metal outdoor furniture, swing/gym sets, metal siding, trailer parts that are less than 6 ft. long, and oil free auto parts, and oil free small engines. We do NOT accept gas cylinders except for propane tanks (empty or full) which are accepted on HHW collection days.

Appliance disposal

Available to all Newport News residents (must show proof of primary residency in the city). Refrigerators, freezers, ovens, dishwashers, washers and dryers, microwaves are accepted for disposal. The ROC staff will capture and recycle the refrigerant from refrigerators and freezers and all metal parts will be broken down for scrap.

Mulch and compost sales

Mulch, compost and some other products produced from brush, leaves and other vegetative waste that has been disposed of at the Center is sold to anyone, including businesses. See the Products web page for a list of available products including a description of each and current prices.

The ROC is open from 8 AM until 4 PM Monday through Saturday. The Center is closed on all City-observed holidays, during natural disasters, and other days as may be determined by City Council. Observed city holidays are:

  • New Years Day
  • Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday
  • Presidents Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Veterans Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Friday following Thanksgiving
  • Christmas Day

Acceptable Volumes

  • Eligible residents can dispose of unlimited amounts of brush and vegetative waste. Brush can measure no more than 6 feet in length and no more than 6 inches in diameter.
  • A maximum of 6 cubic yards of household refuse and bulk waste can be disposed of per week.
  • A maximum of 4 passenger type tires (without rims) can be disposed of per week. However, no more than a total of 12 tires can be disposed within a calendar year.
  • Residents may dispose of non-contaminated soil, dirt, concrete and brick (no larger than a cinder block). However, no more than a 10′x 10′x1′ volume (100 cubic feet) of these materials may be disposed of within one calendar year.

What We Cannot Accept

  • Liquid waste (other than liquid HHW)
  • Medical waste
  • Contaminated soil
  • Gas cylinders (other than propane tanks)
  • Carcasses
  • Smoke alarms
  • Explosives or ammunition
  • Hazardous waste not from households
  • Special wastes (asbestos containing materials, shingles, floor tiles, sludges, etc.)
  • Any materials not authorized by Virginia Department of Environmental Quality

Please call the Recovery Operations Center at 757-933-2311 for information on how to properly dispose of these items.

No business or contractor generated waste is accepted, except yard waste that was generated at an eligible residence.

Suspect contractor generated and unauthorized waste will be denied disposal by the ROC staff.