Recovery Operations Center (ROC)
The Recovery Operations Center offers mulch and compost sales to the general public and drop off services to Newport News residents. The Center is open Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. except on City observed holidays, and is located approximately one mile north of Denbigh Boulevard.
- Proof of Newport News residency must be presented at the window in order to dispose of any material at the Recovery Operations Center.
- Newport News residents paying a Solid Waste User Fee may dispose of trash and/or tires.
- No more than 6 cubic yards of household trash and bulk waste is allowed per week.
- A maximum of 4 light duty tires (without rims) may be brought in per week, with a maximum of 12 per year.
- No contractor trash is accepted.
- Commercial properties are prohibited from disposing of any trash including recycling.
Recycling services are available to all Newport News residents.
Items accepted for recycling include:
- plastic jugs
- scrap metal
- e-cycling (i.e. TVs, computers, monitors, printers)
- latex paint (maximum of 5 gallons per week). Latex paint and e-cycling are accepted daily (Monday through Saturday)
Residents and contractors with a principal office located in the city, may dispose of an unlimited amount of residential vegetative waste, (excluding stumps and tree roots, waste contaminated with dirt, logs over 6 inches in diameter or 6 feet in length, and grass clippings or other bagged waste) from any eligible home, at no charge. If residential vegetative waste is delivered by a contractor, the contractor must present an invoice, signed by the resident, identifying the worksite as evidence that the waste results from work performed within city limits.
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is accepted from Newport News residents at quarterly HHW collection events. Please refer to www.nnva.gov/906.
The Recovery Operations Center sells mulch and compost to any customer (you do not need to be a Newport News resident to purchase). Products are sold by the cubic yard and half cubic yard. A cubic yard will fill a full-size pickup truck. Products are not bagged. Cash, check, MasterCard, or Visa are acceptable forms of payment. Please visit www.nnva.gov/961 to see an updated list of products and prices.
If you have any questions, call the 311 Contact Center at 757-933-2311.