What Litter IsLitter is unwanted trash or garbage that is thrown out of vehicles or onto the ground by pedestrians. It is a danger that can cause fires and motor vehicle and personal accidents. It is not only ugly, but it is expensive as well. An estimated cost to clean up litter in Virginia is $25 million annually. Litter makes a community look run down and neglected. Studies suggest that neighborhoods that are heavily littered experience more vandalism and other crimes.
- Hampton Roads spends over $2 million each year to collect and dispose of litter.
- 48% of all Americans admit to littering.
- 4.5 trillion cigarette butts are littered each year.
- It takes 80 - 100 years for an aluminum can to degrade. It takes glass even longer.
Why People Litter
- Studies show people litter when:
- They feel no sense of ownership or responsibility to the property.
- They believe someone else will clean up after them.
- Litter is already present.