- City Government
- Departments & Offices
- Internal Audit
Our mission is to provide independent, objective assurance and consulting services designed to add value and improve operations. The mission of internal audit is to enhance and protect organizational value by providing risk-based and objective assurance, advice, and insight. The Internal Audit Department helps the City of Newport News accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluating and improving the effectiveness of governance, risk management, and control processes.
Internal Auditors conduct performance, financial, and compliance audits of all departments, offices, activities, and agencies of the City of Newport News to independently determine whether:
- Activities and programs implemented have been authorized by and are in compliance with the City Council, state law, and/or applicable federal law or regulations;
- The department, office, or agency is procuring, managing, safeguarding, and expending its resources (i.e. public funds, public property, assets) economically, efficiently, effectively consistent, and compliant with the regulatory authority;
- Organizational policies, programs, systems, and functions are effective and appropriately positioned.
- Departmental reports (financial and non-financial) are fully and accurately disclosed as necessary to ascertain the nature and scope of programs and activities, and for evaluating the results of programs and activities;
- Management has established, documented, and implemented adequate internal controls and control activities i.e. operating and administrative procedures, practices, systems, functions, etc.
- The preferred results or benefits are achieved;
- Indications of fraud, waste, or abuse are present.
The Internal Audit Department helps management maintain the financial and operational integrity of the City by examining and analyzing City financial data, operations, programs, and services. Internal Audit prepares an annual audit plan to allocate resources and prioritize our work schedule to include oversight of certain city departments and programs as well as special project requests.