Do you wonder what it's like to be a police officer? Do you want to get a more in-depth look at what is happening in your community? Or are you considering a career in law enforcement?
The Newport News Police Department's Ride-Along Program was designed to give citizens and community members the opportunity to ride with a sworn law enforcement officer while the officer is engaged in regular duties.
Those accepted to take part in a ride-along must agree to adhere to certain criteria for their safety, and that of the officer(s). The criteria is outlined more extensively in this attachment (PDF)
. Additionally, those who are interested in taking part in a ride-along must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have completed the application accurately and fully
- Agree to a criminal record check
- Select which area of the city (north, central or south) in which they wish to ride, as well as the preferred shift
- Applicants are limited to one ride-along in a six month period or two ride-alongs in a calendar year
Please email your completed application to: firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off at Newport News Police Headquarters or one of our three precincts.
Rules of Conduct, Assumption of Risk & Waiver of Liability