Automobile Information

Registration / Title / License Plates / Insurance

Vehicles owned and operated in Virginia must be registered, titled, have Virginia license plates on the front and rear of the vehicle and have insurance. New residents must register their vehicle with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 30 days from date of residence. For information, call DMV at 804-497-7100.

Driver's License

A Virginia driver's license is required once residency has been established. An examination for a license consists of a written test, vision check and a driving ability test. Driver's licenses are issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, 12730 Patrick Henry Drive. For more information call 804-497-7100.

Inspection Sticker

Vehicles owned and operated in the Commonwealth of Virginia are required to be inspected once a year. For more information, visit the Virginia State Police website, call 757-877-1985 or contact a local inspection station.

Personal Property Tax

The Commissioner of the Revenue assesses a personal property tax for registered vehicles, with the exception of those exempted by law. A property return must be filed with the Commissioner of the Revenue, 2400 Washington Avenue, Newport News, Virginia 23607, on or before February 15 of each year or within 30 days of the transfer of title or move into Newport News. Vehicles not registered with the Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles or the Newport News Commissioner of the Revenue are also subject to the tax if the vehicle is normally garaged, docked or parked in Newport News.


For military members, in order for properties to be tax exempt, they must be titled to a person enlisted in the military. Property under lease or co-ownership with a non-military person is not, by federal law, exempt. NATO members and foreign military students are required to file a tax exemption letter from the appropriate agency each year.

In order to obtain city decals and tax exemption in the City of Newport News, you must file a copy of your most current leave and earnings statement showing your name, Social Security number, state of residence, and ETS or separation date. For information, visit the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office, located at 2400 Washington Avenue in the City Hall Annex, or call 9757-26-8657.