Pay Water Bill
NEED HELP PAYING YOUR BILL:
- The Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) helps Virginia residents pay their water and wastewater bills. About the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a temporary federally funded program created to assist low-income households with water and wastewater bills. LIHWAP relief will be available to eligible Virginia residents from October 2022 until funds are depleted.
The program is administered by the Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) in partnership with Promise. Promise is a modern technology solutions company that works with utilities and government agencies around the country to provide payment flexibility for households who are unable to pay their bills and streamlined relief distribution to those in need.
Eligibility - Households eligible for LIHWAP assistance must have a past due water/wastewater balance and a gross household income below 150% of the federal poverty level based on household size. Priority will be given to households whose water/wastewater has been disconnected or is at risk of disconnection.
How to Apply - Eligible households may apply for LIHWAP relief at: www.virginialihwap.com
Applicants not already enrolled in an income based program (LIHEAP, SNAP/EBT, TANF, SSI and means-tested veteran programs) will be required to provide evidence of household income. Application assistance is available by contacting Promise directly between the hours of 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Please do not contact your local department of social services, as they will not be able to provide support regarding the application process. For assistance call 1-888-373-9908
- In 1999, HRSD and the public utilities departments of Hampton Roads joined forces through the Hampton Roads Planning District Commission to establish H2O (Help to Others) to help those in need. The program is made possible by a partnership with The Salvation Army. If you are able to donate, please consider donating or if you're in need of assistance, go to https://shareh20.org/get-assistance/#Hampton-NewportNews-Poquoson and find your city and call to see if you are eligible.
Newport News Waterworks requests that customers supply various personal data when processing a transaction, such as name and address, credit card information, email address and telephone number.
We use this data for the purpose of processing the transaction or communicating with the customer about the status of a transaction.
We treat this customer information as private and confidential, and we do not disclose your data to any other third parties. We are committed to safeguarding the privacy of our customers' personal data.
Please Note: For payment and online services, cookies must be enabled. If there are issues accessing the page, email for assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What types of online payment are accepted?
- Is there an additional fee to pay my water bill with a credit or debit card?
- How do I make a payment?
- When is my payment credited to my account?
- How can I confirm if my payment has been processed?
- Can I establish regularly scheduled (automatic) payments?
- Can I cancel a scheduled payment?
- What happens to scheduled payments if I delete the payment account that was used to set up the payment?
- What happens to scheduled payments if I delete that account from my enrollment?
- What happens to scheduled payments if I cancel my enrollment?
- My payment is due today and it is after business hours. How can I pay my bill?
- I cannot make a payment by the due date. Can I get a payment extension?
- Do you offer budget billing?
- When will my payment be processed by my bank or Credit Card Company?
- How do I know which payments I've scheduled or completed?
- Can I pay my balance in full or extend the payment due date?
- How often do I get a Waterworks bill?
- Where can I pay my water bill?
- I’d like to go paperless. Is there a way to stop getting a paper bill and get a bill emailed to me?