Homelessness and Community Initiatives
If you are currently homeless or at risk of losing housing, call the Regional Housing Crisis Hotline at 757-587-4202
Open 7 Days a Week from 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Homelessness and Community Initiatives Bureau, located at the Four Oaks Day Service Center, is a one-stop service and assistance center where individuals and families at risk of or experiencing homelessness can receive support services and connections to community resources in one location.
- Job skill and workforce development classes
- Medical, Mental Health and Substance Abuse treatment services and resources
- Housing Assistance
- Computer literacy in an on-site computer lab
- Assistance securing personal documents needed to obtain housing, employment and benefits
- Budgeting and financial literacy classes
- Transportation to and from appointments, interviews and pre-approved locations
- In addition to providing comprehensive support that transforms lives, services to meet the basic needs of homeless individuals and families are also available.
- Showers and restrooms
- Laundry facilities
- Mailing address/Mail pickup
- Family room with children’s area
- Private meeting and counseling spaces
- Telephone access
- Quiet resting areas
- Bagged Lunches
- Computer Access
- Storage for personal items while on-site
Sign up for our mailing list and be among the first to know the amazing initiatives happening at Four Oaks Day Services & Training Center!
Community Engagement Forum
The City of Newport News invited residents to attend a community conversation that was held on Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at the Brittingham-Midtown Community Center. This forum was an opportunity for the city to provide information on the issue and for residents to voice their concerns and share their input on how to address homelessness in our community.
We believe in the power of collaboration and community involvement. In efforts to build and strengthen a solid foundation, we provided additional resources that can service individuals and families facing homelessness on the Virginia Peninsula.
Community Engagement Forum Recap
The City of Newport News is committed to addressing the challenges of homelessness and plans to initiate more opportunities for the community to engage and partner in addressing this issue. Citizens interested in continuing to engage on this topic were asked to leave their contact information for follow-up during the forum. This contact information has been compiled in a spreadsheet by the Executive Assistance Team of the City Manager’s Office. In addition to community support, the city’s executive leadership team plans to engage the services of a consulting firm to support this work and develop a strategic plan for addressing homelessness. In addition to hiring a consulting firm, based upon collective community comments, citizen questions, resident suggestions, and notes scribed during the event, it is recommended that the City of Newport News consider these additional steps to continue moving the needle on this issue:
1. Host a series of community conversations with targeted groups (i.e., faith community, youth, business owners, women) to continue the conversation on homelessness and gather more community feedback.
2. Host a series of focus groups with people experiencing homelessness, especially women with children, at Four Oaks Day Service Center to understand their lived experiences and needs better.
3. If this will be a priority for the foreseeable future, create a dedicated page on the City website on homelessness. Include an FAQ page based on some of the general questions citizens asked at the forum. Recommended questions to address in an FAQ have been denoted in Appendix A. After-Action Report w/ Recommendations August 25, 2023.
4. Develop an ad-hoc group of citizens that includes persons who have overcome homelessness to assist with developing a strategic plan for addressing homelessness in the City of Newport News.
5. Explore a regional approach to homelessness with adjoining localities.
Main Office - Rouse Tower6060 Jefferson Ave.
Newport News, VA 23605
Denbigh Satellite Office368 Deshazor Drive
Newport News, VA 23608
Four Oaks Day Services & Training Center7401 Warwick Blvd
Newport News, VA 23607
Monday - Friday
7:00 AM - 5:00 PM