COVID-19 City of Newport News Employee Information
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated its COVID-19 prevention guidance based on COVID-19 Community Levels. COVID-19 Community Levels are a measure of the impact of COVID-19 illness on health and healthcare systems and are a tool to help communities decide what prevention steps should be taken based on the latest data. The CDC currently recommends prevention steps based on COVID-19 Community Levels of low, medium and high.
Mask/Face Covering Guidance
The chart below outlines guidance on when to wear a mask based on the current COVID-19 Community Level. (CDC Guide to Masks).
COVID-19 Community Level
When to Wear a Mask
· Wear a mask based on your personal preference, informed by your personal level of risk
· If you are immunocompromised or at high risk for severe illness, talk to your healthcare provider about additional precautions, such as wearing masks or respirator indoors in public
· If you live with or have social contact with someone at high risk for severe illness, consider testing yourself for infection before you get together & wearing a mask when indoors with them
· Wear a well-fitting mask indoors in public, regardless of vaccination status or individual risk (including K-12 schools & other community settings)
· If you are immunocompromised or at high risk for severe illness, wear a mask or respirator that provides you with greater protection
Check our COVID-19 Community Level
Employees may review the Newport News COVID-19 Community Level by using the checker below. Please note that COVID-19 Community Levels can change rapidly. The Department of Human Resources COVID Care Team will make every attempt to notify employees when there is a significant change to our COVID-19 Community Level and associated guidelines.
COVID Vaccine & Free Test Information
For information on how to receive a free at home test kit click here
- COVID-19 Workers' Compensation Exposure Process
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Virginia Department of Health
Archived Forms and Policies
These older FAQs are still an important resource for employees who have questions related to prior updates.
FAQ #19 Addendum #3 *Revised*