Online Marriage License Pre-Application
Applicants must have a computer, smartphone, or tablet, along with internet access to complete the Online Marriage License Pre-Application. Upon submission of the Pre-Application, the couple receives a confirmation document by email.
After the appointment and once the officiant or person performing your ceremony signs and returns the original marriage license to the Newport News Circuit Court Clerk’s Office, your finalized marriage license will be available for pick-up. If pre-requested via your provision of a self-addressed and stamped envelope, a copy of your finalized marriage license will be mailed via United Stated Postal service.
- Cost: $30 payable by cash, check, or credit card (2% convenience fee)
- The Marriage License Application process has been automated in the Clerk's Office. Application forms are available on the Public Access Terminals in our Customer Waiting Area or through the Marriage License Pre-Application Process.
- Marriage licenses are issued by the Clerk of Circuit Court in each city and county in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- There are no residency requirements; You do not have to be a Newport News resident to obtain your marriage license in the Newport News Circuit Court Clerk’s Office.
- Once a marriage license is issued, there is no waiting period. However, the marriage license is valid for 60 calendar days and the marriage must take place in Virginia.
- Certified Copy Fee: $2
- Both parties must appear together and present a government issued picture i.d. such as a driver’s license is required in this office.
- Social security number or Virginia Department of Motor Vehicle control number is required
- No blood test is required to marry in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Pursuant to §20-48 of the Virginia Code, the minimum age at which a person may marry is 18, unless the minor has been emancipated by court order. Upon application for a marriage license, the emancipated minor must provide a certified copy of the court order of emancipation to the Public Service Division.
- The Officiant who performs the marriage ceremony must return the license with 7 days after the ceremony to the Newport News Circuit Court Clerk’s Office at 2500 Washington Ave. Newport News, VA 23607.