City Facility Opening Information (COVID-19)
City Facility Opening Information
- Most city offices, facilities and buildings have reopened to the public; however, citizens are encouraged to access city services online when possible.
- Newport News Public Library branches have re-opened to the public. Curbside pick-up and virtual programming will continue as services and some in-person programs resume. Visit the libraries for public-access computers, fax and print services, free Wi-Fi, and to browse for items.
Visit library.nnva.gov to view our events calendar, search our catalog, and access our digital collection of books, audiobooks, music, movies, and more! New and returning services at the Library include Mobile Print Services, Wi-Fi Hotspots available for checkout, a Digital Comics collection, meeting room reservations, and NNPL’s Summer Reading Challenge.
- City Hall, offices at City Center at Oyster Point, NNPD headquarters and precincts, Department of Human Services, and Voter Registrar’s Office are open with regular hours. Masks and social distancing are required, and elevators are limited to two people.
- The City’s 311 Call Center is available for residents and can be reached at 933-2311, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.nnva.gov/311.
- The Treasurer and the Commissioner of the Revenue’s office at City Hall and at the Denbigh satellite location (12912 Jefferson Avenue) are open from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm with a limit of 20 people in the lobby at a time.
- www.nnva.gov/DMVSelect. through the Treasurer and Commissioner of the Revenue are available by appointment only. To make an appointment, visit
- The Recovery Operations Center at 520 Atkinson Way is open to the public Monday through Saturday, 8 am - 4 pm. Mulch and compost sales are taking place. Household hazardous waste is accepted at quarterly events.
- The Peninsula Regional Animal Shelter is open normal hours for adoptions, as well as owner surrenders, reclaims and stray drop offs.
- Four Oaks Day Service Center is open with reduced capacity.
- Parks & Recreation:
- Parks, trails, basketball courts, playgrounds, golf course, tennis courts, dog park, skate park, campground and fishing piers are open.
- Brittingham-Midtown Aquatic Center & Doris Miller pool are open with restrictions.
- Recreation Centers are open with restrictions and limited hours. Please see these links for the available open recreation hours:
- Museums are open Thursday – Saturday, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Online City Resources
COVID-19 Resource Hub – A collection of maps and resources providing information to help citizens, their families and local businesses.
Newport News Public Library - Apply for an e-Membership and receive immediate access to the Library’s online collection of eBooks, digital audiobooks, online courses, streaming movies, TV and music.
Codes Compliance - Permit applications are available online.
Human Services - Visit CommonHelp to apply for benefit programs and/or child care.
Police Department - Report non-violent crimes through NNPD Online.
Treasurer's Office - Make payments online for taxes, fees and fines, including parking tickets, stormwater fees, Vehicle License Fees, taxes and more.
Newport News 311 Center
Health related questions?
Peninsula Health District Hotline