HHW and Electronics Disposal Alternatives
The following alternatives are available for Newport News residents in addition to the Recovery Operations Center during quarterly HHW collection events. The Recovery Operations Center does not accept material between events. The below facilities do accept items listed. Some may charge for collection. Others may require residents to contact them in advance. This list acknowledges businesses that accept material may restrict volumes due to storage and safety.
- Batteries Plus
- Lead acid: automotive, ATV, garden equipment
- Lead acid: UPS power supply units (note: battery must be removed from case to be accepted)
- Rechargeable tool batteries
- Button batteries
- Note: alkaline batteries are not recyclable and not considered hazardous; they can be placed in the trash.
- AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, NAPA Auto Parts, O’Reilly Auto Parts, Pep Boys (lead acid and solid state): automotive, motorcycle, ATV, garden equipment
- Home Depot and Lowe’s: lead acid: battery packs for power tools
Most automotive stores do accept automotive oils. However, big box retailers do not have collection resources for residents. Call ahead or ask when you purchase oil.
- AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, NAPA Auto Parts, O’Reilly Auto Parts, Pep Boys: automotive, motorcycle, ATV, garden equipment
Compact fluorescent bulbs
- Home Depot and Lowe’s – usually at the entrance to the facility.
Propane tanks (retailers with outside cages)
- Home Depot and Lowe's
- Food Lion, Kroger, Wal-Mart: do not drop off a container without informing the retailer.
- Hardware stores (Call in advance. Some stores charge.)
CRT televisions only can be processed via approved sources, although DEQ does not prohibit them from going to the landfill; the leaded screen is the issue.
In addition to the Recovery Operations Center, other working and non-working electronics can go to:
- Disabled American Veterans
- CHKD Thrift Stores
Green tipped tubes are non-toxic; silver tipped ones are only collected at HHW events or through programs from Waste Management or Phillips
None; HHW collection only. Do not dispose in trash or dump.
Smoke detectors are accepted at the ROC during HHW quarterly events.
These instructions should be passed on to residents who have questions or wish to dispose of them properly:
- Smoke Detectors have a radioactive substance (americium 241) in them.
- All new devices come with instructions from the manufacturers (required by federal law) as how to return them to the manufacturer or their designate. They usually have the address to the facility to be sent to and/or a toll-free phone number and what types they accept. Manufacturers will usually provide a prepaid container or shipping label for the smoke detectors and the majority of these services are free to the consumer.
- The US Postal Service has a contact list of manufacturers/distributors on their website.
When returning a detector to the manufacturer, include a note indicating the detector is to be disposed of, and mail it to the address listed on the back of the detector. The following smoke detector manufacturers/distributors will take back their smoke detectors:
|Manufacturer/Distributor||Phone Number||Address for Return||Notes|
|American Sensors/Dicon Global||800-387-4219||Call to receive a number and
|Accepts Dicon Global
American Sensors brands
|Firex||800-445-8299||Firex c/o Disposal
28C Leigh Fisher Blvd.
El Paso, TX 79906
|First Alert/BRK||800-323-9005 Ext. 2||Customer Service Dept
3920 Enterprise Court
Aurora, IL 60504
|Accepts up to four devices of
First Alert/BRK brand at a
time. Call ahead for mailing
|G.E. Security/ESL||888-437-3287||12345 Southwest Levetan Dr.
Tualatin, OR 97062
|Will accept G.E.
Security/ESL brands only
1985 Douglas Drive North
Golden Valley, MN 55422
|Accepts Honeywell smoke
|Kidde||800-880-6788 Ext. 1||1016 Corporate Park Dr.
Mebane, NC 27302
|Will only accept Kidde brand
|Sears||local number||Some Sears locations are
designated collection sites
|Call to find out if local Sears
will accept smoke detectors
|System Sensors||800-736-7672 Ext. 1||Call to receive a reference
number and return information
|Will accept System Sensors
brand only. Asking payment
of $3.00 for each detector to
cover recycling costs.
|USI Electric/Universal||800-390-4321 Ext. 1||Attention: Disposal Dept.
7A Gwynns Mill Court
Owings Mills, MD 21117
|Return only detectors that
say “ionization” on the back.
Only USI Electric or
Universal brand detectors
accepted. Enclose a note
that the smoke detector
is being returned for