Definition of Intellectual Wellness
Intellectual wellness recognizes creative abilities and encourages us to find ways to expand our knowledge and skills. Intellectual wellness can be developed through personal and professional development, cultural involvement, community involvement and personal hobbies. As intellectual wellness develops, you are able to cultivate personal resources that work together with the other realms of wellness in order to be achieve a more balanced life.
Why is Intellectual Wellness Important?
Intellectual wellness encourages learning. It is important to explore new ideas and understandings in order to become more mindful and better-rounded. Having an optimal level of intellectual wellness inspires exploration. Intellectual wellness also stimulates curiosity. Curiosity is important because it motivates you to try new things and develop an understanding of how you see the relationship between yourself, others and the environment.
The Route to Intellectual Wellness
In order to begin the route to intellectual wellness, you must remember to be open-minded. Be open to new ideas, new cultures, new knowledge, new skills and new environments. When you have an open mind, the world is truly yours. This allows you to explore issues relating to problem solving, critical thinking, learning and creativity. Below is a list of suggestions for you to adopt in order to enhance your intellectual wellness.
- Visit Employee Self Service to view all educational offerings and sign up for classes.
- Listen. When you participate in active listening you are able to fully comprehend the information that is being given to you.
- Pick up a hobby. Hobbies are great ways to increase your skill set. They can also be fun!
- Travel. The best way to gain knowledge as well as an appreciation for another culture is to experience it yourself.
- Read. Join the Newport News Public Library (or your local library system) and see what programs they offer.
- Express your creative side by exploring different avenues of creativity and artistic expressions.
Intellectual Wellness Resources
There is no single way to enhance your intellectual wellness.