Be a part of the transformation taking place in Newport News, Virginia. We are looking for a Management Fellow to bring a fresh perspective to our great city while supporting and growing key City projects.
The Management Fellowship Program offers a top-tier professional development and career opportunity in local government. You’ll be based in the City Manager’s Office and will work directly with an Assistant to the City Manager, meaning you’ll receive mentorship and support from other senior-level positions within the Office, including the City Manager and our two Assistant City Managers. You’ll observe and participate in high-level management meetings and assignments that are matched to your interests, all while developing valuable skills that are easily transferrable to other municipalities across the country (but you may not want to leave Newport News when the Fellowship ends!).This innovative, challenging program will provide first-hand knowledge of the issues confronted by local governments, as well as the approaches used to address them. Every day is different and new opportunities are around every corner, so we need a versatile person to step in, ready to tackle every challenge.
- Is the Management Fellowship Program an internship?
- Is the program's start date negotiable?
- How are candidates evaluated?
- What types of work do Management Fellows perform?
- What is a typical day for a Management Fellow?
- Is there any orientation or training for Management Fellows?
- What happens to Management Fellows after the program is completed?
- What is the annual salary of a Management Fellow?
- What additional benefits are Management Fellows eligible to receive?
- Does the City pay for Management Fellows relocation and/or housing expenses?
- Who to contact with additional questions regarding the Management Fellowship?
In addition to hands-on experience, the Newport News Management Fellowship is a full-time, 12-month appointment beginning in June 2022 with a salary of $38,000-$44,000. The Fellowship compensation package also includes the City health and dental insurance, holiday pay, and sick leave.
ICMA is the world’s leading association of professional city and county managers and other employees who serve local governments. To ensure you have the skills needed to tackle existing and emerging issues, you’ll have the opportunity to attend one or more of the following state and national education/career development programs, including: The ICMA Annual Conference; National League of Cities Congress of Cities and Exposition; and the Virginia Local Government Management Association’s Winter and Summer Conference. The city’s partnership with ICMA will also give you access to regular conference calls, ICMA’s Applied Knowledge Assessment, a free subscription to PM Magazine, and a complimentary 2-year membership to ICMA with access to all qualifying member benefits.