The Newport News Police Department is offering the following tips to help keep your belongings and automobile safe:
• Always lock your automobile and take your keys. • Make sure all windows are rolled up – all the way. • Do not leave extra or spare keys in your automobile. • Do not leave valuables in your automobile (whether in plain sight or hidden). • Do not leave valuables in your trunk (if your automobile is unlocked, a thief can get to your trunk). • Park your automobile in a lit area. • Park your automobile in your garage or driveway if possible. • Never leave your automobile running. • Install an anti-theft device that is highly visible, hard to defeat, and renders the automobile inoperable.
• Do not leave important papers, especially a car title, in your automobile.
• Invest in a tracking device in case your vehicle is stolen.
• Record the serial numbers of aftermarket stereos, or other items.
• Engrave your driver’s license number on your stereos, speakers, and cellular phones.
• Do not leave your garage door opener in plain sight in your automobile.
• Consider a security camera on your property.
• Report suspicious activity or persons via 911 immediately.
Follow us on Facebook for our #9pmroutine reminders.
Although parking garages are convenient, it is particularly important to lock your car when parked in one. They are attractive to thieves because they have a wider selection of cars to steal or steal from and it is usually quite in the garage – especially during the night hours. If, you have experienced a theft call the non-emergency number at 247-2500 or if you meet certain criteria, you can file an online report by visiting NNPDonline.com. The most important thing you can do to protect your belongings and your car is to LOCK-IT-UP.