Cross Connection Control & Backflow Prevention
IMPORTANT NOTICEStarting January 1, 2023, persons testing and repairing backflow prevention assemblies and backflow prevention devices shall be certified by a Commonwealth of Virginia tradesman certification program (identified by DPOR as backflow prevention device workers). Until January 1, 2023, persons testing and repairing backflow prevention assemblies and backflow prevention devices shall be qualified to perform such work as demonstrated by possessing a certification or license from a local or state agency having legal authority or shall possess a certificate of applicable vocational training acceptable to the owner. (12VAC5-590-630 Section D)
The undesirable reversal of flow of waters or mixtures of water and other liquids, gases, or other substances into a waterworks.
Any actual or potential link, connection, or physical arrangement, direct or indirect, between used water, and auxiliary water system, or other source of contamination or pollution to the waterworks through which backflow can occur.
1. To protect the public water supply of the waterworks system from the possibility of contamination or pollution by isolating within a customer's internal distribution system, such contaminants and pollutants that cold backflow into the waterworks system;
2. To promote the elimination or control of cross connections, actual or potential, between a customer's in-plant potable water system and non-potable systems;
3. To provide for a program of cross connection control which will effectively prevent the contamination or pollution of all potable water systems by cross connections; and
4. To establish and enforce a cross-connection control program in accordance with Virginia Department of Health Waterworks Regulations (12VAC 5-590-580 as amended).
- Avoiding Violation Status - Please help reduce testing violations by submitting the customer's test forms upon completion of testing, including failed devices, to:
Newport News Waterworks Cross Connection Control
425 Industrial Drive
Newport News, VA 23608 or by emailing email@example.com.
- The Newport News Waterworks Cross Connection Control & Backflow Prevention Program Manual is available in the below related documents.
- For new installations and replacement devices only, please use the Backflow Test Form (PDF) below.
- Please contact our office if you have any questions or concerns at 757-234-4888.