Volunteer & Foster
Welcome back to the shelter! We are excited to accept applications for folks who would like to volunteer in the shelter.
Pending applications from March 2020 onward have been deleted so please reapply! There are so many things you can do:
- Socialize and walk our shelter pets
- Assist in animal care and cleaning
- Create Enrichment items and provide enrichment to our shelter pets
- Facility maintenance, cleaning restocking and other projects to keep our shelter working and looking great
- Assist Guests visiting our shelter to have a wonderful experience
- Help in the lobbies with clerical duties
Be a lifesaving superhero by fostering one of our shelter pets. The PRAS is still receiving plenty of animals in the shelter. With many people at home, this may be a great time to foster a shelter pet. Perhaps you can help a bottle baby kitten? Or an older kitten that needs a great place to grow? Or maybe an adult cat or dog that is scared being at the shelter and needs the extra love you could give? If you would be interested in this opportunity to help our shelter pets here on the Peninsula, please fill out our survey below. If you have any questions, please email our Foster Program Coordinator at email@example.com.
There are so many things that you can do from home that will benefit our shelter animals. Making enrichment items and toys for our shelter pets is a great way to make their stay at the PRAS a more pleasant one. This can be a great way to pass some time or even get the kids involved! We have some of the supplies you might need right here at the shelter (old blankets, cardboard tubes) and many other supplies are in your recycle bag at home just waiting to upcycle. Or perhaps you have sewing or creative building skills and can help us with some projects? Do you need community service hours? Check with your sponsor to see if these activities would meet the requirements. We have a handy log for you to track your time and activities right here.
Please check out these links for some great ideas:
- This booklet offers some great, simple ideas.
- Here’s a link to the Boredom Busters program: https://www.farsidejourney.org/low-cost-shelter-enrichment .
- Old corrugated cardboard can be turned into awesome scratchers for our shelter kitties: (Make 10″ long by 4&″ wide to fit in kennels) https://www.google.com/search?q=diy+cat+scratcher+from+cardboard&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS916US916&oq=DIY+Cat+scratchers+out+of+cardbpard&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i333l5.22118j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
- You can purchase CatAmazing™ cardboard puzzle toys.
- Want more ideas of things you can make easily at home? See How to Make Dog Toys, How to Make Cat Toys, and How to Make Fleece Beds.
For groups or individuals:
Sew what? Do you have sewing skills? We have a couple of projects we could use your help with. Partial Kennel door covers. Transfer cage covers. Curtains.
PVC: We have some ideas that require some design to made with PVC. Great scout project or a group that can do some fundraising.