Lost & Found Animals
REUNITE/SURRENDER LOBBY COVID-19 UPDATE: 4/11/21
- Two (2) guest limit in the Reunite/Intake Lobby at a time.
- Due to limited space in the lobby we are providing guests (at their request) a car tag that to be placed on the outside of their car windshield. Once PRAS has space in the lobby a PRAS staff member will notify you.
- Masks/facial coverings are required and should be worn above the nose at all times in the Reunite/Intake Lobby.
- PRAS Staff/designee is now taking temperatures / asking if they are experiencing any COVID-19 related symptoms. If temp higher than 99 degrees and/or any symptoms you will not be permitted to enter.
- Hand sanitizer is recommended once entering the building.
The Peninsula Regional Animal Shelter is the intake facility for the four jurisdictions of Newport News, Hampton, Poquoson and York County. Stray animals are held at our facility for their legal hold period: 10 days with identification and 5 days without identification. After that hold period the animal becomes property of the shelter and is processed accordingly.
If you have found a pet you can bring it to the shelter Monday - Sunday 8:00 AM - 5 PM. If you are interested in adopting that animal you can be listed as an interested finder. If the animal is available for adoption you will receive a phone call. We do not disclose any information on the animal once it is turned in (i.e if the owner claims it or if it is still in the building).
If you have lost a pet we encourage you to come down to the shelter to fill out a report and look for your animal. Breeds and descriptions are not always 100% accurate, so it would be best for you as the owner to identify your own animal. Our reunite lobby is open Monday - Sunday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM for you to do this. We would also ask that you provide a picture if possible and any paperwork on the pet. See here for our stray animal list. All of these animals are potentially owned by someone, so are not yet available for adoption. Animals available for adoption: www.petango.com/peninsularegionalanimalshelter.
Even if this description doesn’t match, your animal may be at the shelter. This information is a best guess approximation only, if you are missing an animal, come to the PRAS at 5843 Jefferson Ave to report the lost animal and check to see if your animal is there. The owner is the best person to identify which animal is theirs and we recommend checking at the shelter every few days. The legal holding period for shelter animals without identification is 5 days. For animals with a collar, chip ,or other ID, the holding period is 10 days. If you have found a stray animal and are able to care for them while helping finding the owner, make sure to report the animal to the PRAS and have them scanned for a microchip., 757-933-8900.
There is a $25.00 impound fee and a $15/day per animal fee. The second offense (within a year) is a $50.00 impound fee and $15/day per animal fee. We accept cash, debit/credit card and checks. Promissory notes available upon request. You will also need proof of ownership and ID to claim animal.
Resources for Lost and Found Pets:
- Lost and Found Dog- Hampton Roads, VA
- Virginia Lost and Found Cats
- Peninsula Lost and Found Cats
- HRVA Lost and Found Cats
- Lost and Found Pets- Hampton Roads VA
- Local “Yard Sale” groups
- Animal Control/Animal Services
- Newspaper Ad
- Your Rental, Apartment complex, or HOA website
If you need to report a stray animal, possible animal cruelty/neglect, animal emergencies or legal animal questions please contact animal control directly.
Dogs and cats are required to be licensed, please contact your jurisdiction on those requirements.
Newport News/ Poquoson Animal Services 757-595-7387; https://www.nnva.gov/756/Animal-Services
Hampton Animal Response Team 757-727-6111; http://hampton.gov/1465/Animal-Control
Watch a video about the Hampton Animal Response Team (HART): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ud35GC_iP8&feature=youtu.be
York County Animal Control 757-890-3601; https://www.yorkcounty.gov/442/Animal-Services