Community C.R.I.M.E. Planning Process
C.R.I.M.E. - What is it?Through the Community C.R.I.M.E. planning process, citizens and community members assist the City of Newport News in developing its strategic plan for public safety, also known as a Community C.R.I.M.E. Plan. The C.R.I.M.E. Plan is the product of input from not only the police department and the city, but also a broad range of citizens, businesses and community groups.
What does "C.R.I.M.E." stand for?The acronym C.R.I.M.E. stands for "Creating Responsibility In My Environment", and represents the process itself, which requires the full engagement and assistance from the community to achieve the most success.
Steps in the Process:The initial community mobilization event was held on Saturday, March 28, 2015. At this event, participants were informed about the process and invited to become involved. There were three main process components after the mobilization (informational) event:
- Steering Committee: A Steering Committee was formed, and began working and meeting. The group met monthly for approximately 6 months, identifying areas of need and developing ideas.
- Community Action Planning Session: In September 2015, a Community Action Planning session was hosted, inviting community members to come together and recommend actual crime control goals for Newport News, based on the identified areas and ideas. Four goals have been developed .
- Goal Teams: After the adoption of the goals, the Goal Teams were formed for each goal, and are working to ensure that each goal is met.
C.R.I.M.E. Team Goals:
The following goals were developed by members of the Newport News community:
- Build Positive Partnerships Between the Community and Police
- Strengthen Families
- Increase Youth Success Opportunities
- Reduce Homelessness
To succeed, we need YOU!
How do I get involved?We invite community members of all ages to get involved in the areas of the process in which they have the most interest. Come and help in growing a safer, more united, Newport News and join in this important effort! Please visit our to request more information, or to indicate your interest.
See What's Going OnVisit these areas for more information on the C.R.I.M.E. planning process project
- Photos from events
- C.R.I.M.E. Program Brochure
- Implementation Team Guide
- Goal Team Report Form
- Additional Information