Residential Parking Permit Program (RPPP) Brochure

This brochure is intended to assist with some of the  frequently asked questions.  It is NOT intended to be considered as the governing document in regards to the issuance of permits and visitor passes.

For complete information contact our permits office or visit our web site link.

Now that my street has been added to the RPPP – how do I get my permit?

If this is  your first time getting a permit, then you need to do it in person at the Engineering Permits Office, 7th floor, City Hall, 2400 Washington Avenue, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (closed on City holidays).

What do I need to bring?

You need three (3) things:

  1. Proof of residency in the RPPP area.
  2. A current drivers license.
  3. A current vehicle  registration (in your name).
HINT!  If you are going to get permits for your spouse and/or children and they are not coming with you to the Engineering Permits Office – bring a copy of their Drivers License and Vehicle Registration or we can not issue them a permit even if they are eligible.

What is “proof of residency”?
Residency may be verified through any of the following:

  1. A utility bill (gas, electric, water, or phone) bearing the name and address of the applicant.  If you haven’t lived at the property long enough to have a utility bill, a deed of settlement sheet (also called the HUD-1 statement or closing statement) bearing the applicant's name and address may be substituted.
  2. A notarized executed lease bearing the applicant's name and address. If a lease was not executed, a notarized statement from the landlord may be substituted, subject to verification by the Department of Engineering.
  3. For persons who own AND reside on the property that is located in the RPPP area, residency may be verified by the Engineering Permits Office through accessing the Real Estate Information System on the City computer.
  4. Any documented legally sufficient evidence of residence approved by the City Attorney’s Office
But the car is not in my name?
If your vehicle is not registered in your name, say it is in your parents or spouses name, then you will need a notarized letter from the owner stating that you have full use of the vehicle.

How many permits can I get?
A permit is issued for each vehicle licensed at that address or each resident who is a licensed driver at that address, whichever is less, up to a total of three (3) permits.

HINT!  This does not guarantee that a space will be available or allow that the vehicle be parked where parking would otherwise be illegal, such as near fire hydrants, etc.

What about my guests?
Annual Visitor and Temporary passes are for use by persons who are visiting in RPPP areas. Like the permits, these passes are valid only on the specific street in the RPPP area that they are issued for but do not guarantee that a space will be available or allow that the vehicle be parked where such parking would otherwise be illegal.

What’s the difference between Annual and Temporary Passes?
Temporary passes are short term passes and available in any quantity you need. They are good for parties or other planned events in which you expect a large group of people.  There is no fee but are only valid for a maximum of seventy-two (72) hours.

Annual passes are of a more permanent nature and are good for the same time period as the permits.  Each household in an RPPP area may be issued one (1) annual visitor pass for those  visiting you on a temporary basis.  These passes are not for use in vehicles that are registered at the home or dwelling place in the RPPP area.  Annual passes can be issued upon request at the time the permit is purchased or can be issued to a household in the RPPP area that does not purchase a permit.

Annual passes are issued at the location the permit is issued.

Temporary passes are issued at the Police Department offices at the Police Headquarters Building, which is located at 9710 Jefferson Avenue.

I need in-home medical care, what do they use?
An additional annual visitor pass may be issued to a resident of a non- participating household in an RPPP area for medical care provided that the following criteria is satisfied.

  1. Applicant must present proof of residency in the RPPP area. If the resident is unable to appear in person, a notarized statement may be provided authorizing an applicant to act on a resident's behalf in providing information as to proof of residency.
  2. Applicant must provide a medical disability form from a physician designating that the applicant requires either in-home care or transportation for medical services.
Where can I park?
Your permit(s) are only valid on the street you live, no matter the area you are in.  There are a few exceptions such as corner lots that can park on both streets, certain homes along Huntington Ave and certain portions of Area I.

How much are permits and passes?
The fee is $6 per vehicle, regardless of when the permit is purchased. The permit is issued for a specific vehicle and must not be affixed in any manner to any other vehicle.

Visitor Passes both annual and temporary have no fee.

What if I lose my permit?
Permits may be replaced at no cost if the owner has:
  1. Moved from one RPPP area to another and provides the required proof of residency in the new RPPP area. If the applicant has a valid permit from another RPPP area, that permit must be returned to the Department of Engineering before a new permit can be issued.
  2. Lost, stolen or damaged permit. Proof of purchase of the original issued permit is required, along with either the remains of the old permit or a notarized statement as to what happened to the permit.
Are there any exceptions to this policy?
  1. Every policy has to have some flexibility and this one is no different.  There are exceptions for a wide variety of conditions:
  2. Military personnel
  3. Business or Commercial Property
  4. Residents with disabilities
  5. Temporary License Plate
  6. Vehicles without Virginia License Plates
  7. Commercial Tags
  8. Dealer Tags
  9. Company Cars
  10. Leased Vehicles
  11. Vehicle Owned by Another Person
  12. Students residing at Educational Facility Off-Campus Housing (Residential)
For specific information about what these exceptions could mean to you contact our permits office or visit our web site link.

What about next year?
The permits (and annual pass) are valid from July 1st to June 30th of the following year.  In June of each year, the Engineering Permits Office will mail renewal applications to all participating households located in RPPP areas concerned. (Currently Areas I, II, IV, V and VI) General mailings will be restricted to only the addresses that are physically located within an RPPP area. A notice to all other persons holding permits will be sent to the last known address; but, in this case, the permit holder must apply for the renewal in person at the Engineering Permits Office, 7th floor, City Hall, 2400 Washington Avenue, Newport News, Virginia.
For a printable version:  Residential Parking Permit Program (PDF)