About Newport News Police Department
Values that Guide Our Actions
The City of Newport News is located on the southeast side of the Virginia Peninsula encompassing 69 square miles. The city extends from where the James River meets the Chesapeake Bay northwest for 25 miles along the James River. The city, at its widest point, is only 7 miles wide. With a diverse population of over 180,700, it is the home to military personnel due to the close proximity of installations for every branch of the services.
Newport News Police Department, a nationally accredited law enforcement agency, has an authorized complement of 440 sworn officers and 153 non-sworn personnel making it the fourth largest municipal police department in Virginia.
- Integrity - We serve with integrity, by determining what is right and acting on that determination, even at personal cost, whether in public or private.
- Citizen Participation - We solicit and accept input from citizens when developing police activities and programs.
- Commitment - We are vigilant in our responsibility to provide effective, efficient and professional police services.
- Accountability - We are an organization of empowered employees, all of whom are responsible for what they say and do.
- Communication - We foster an exchange of thoughts, ideals and information in an open, receptive and positive manner, throughout the organization.
- Courtesy - We perform our duties in a polite and respectful manner.
- Teamwork - We support a team environment that encourages individual contributions and recognizes group accomplishments.
- Innovation - We encourage employees to seek new methods of improving police services.
- Our Heritage - We value and honor all who serve with us. We cherish the memories of those who have served before us, especially those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.
To take a leading role in making Newport News a place where people want to live, work and play.
To reduce crime and the fear of crime to enhance public safety and quality of life.
Committed to our community.