Cleon M. Long, P.E.
Central District 2, Seat B | Term Expires December 31, 2026
Councilman Long can be contacted by emailing City Council, calling 757-926-8618 or by mailing the address below.City Council
City of Newport News
2400 Washington Avenue
Newport News, VA 23607
Cleon M. Long. P.E. is a native of Newport News and a proud product of the Newport News Public School system. As a youth, he volunteered with various organizations throughout the city, including St. Francis Nursing Home, student tutor, and member of the Newport News Superintendent’s Education Advisory Group. He was also involved with the Mayor’s Youth Commission and the Youth Task Force for the Newport News City Planning Commission.
After graduating high school, Councilman Long attended college in Atlanta, GA. He received a Bachelor of Science in General Science from Morehouse College and a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology. Upon graduating from college, Cleon returned to his hometown in 2004. In 2011, Cleon obtained a Professional Engineering License. He is currently an engineer with Huntington Ingalls Newport News Shipbuilding.
Cleon is married to a former high school classmate and has two children. As a family, they enjoy relaxing at the Lion’s Bridge, attending local summer concerts at Port Warwick, spending time with family and friends as well as weekly Mass.
Cleon is passionate about supporting small businesses and ensuring all individuals have access to safe, affordable, and quality housing, employment opportunities, and quality education.
- Member, Board of Directors Smart Beginnings Virginia Peninsula, July 2021 – Present
- Member, Newport News Board of Zoning Appeals, July 2020 – December 2022
- Member, Board of Directors for Boys and Girls Club of the VA Peninsula, January 2020 – December 2022
- Member, Board of Trustees for the Virginia Living Museum, July 2018 – Present
- Board Representative, Virginia Living Museum, July 2016 - June 2018
- Member, Newport News Planning Commission, March 2008 - January 2016, Past Vice Chair, Jan 2014 – Dec 2014
- Member, Warwick Rotary Club, April 2006 – Current, Past Club President, July 2010 – Jun 2011
- Member, Board of Directors for Girls Scouts of the Colonial Coast, March 2007 – March 2009
- Member, Newport News Commission on Youth, November 2004 – December 2009