- City Government
- Departments & Offices
- Comprehensive Plan
One City, One Future 2040
The One City, One Future 2040 Comprehensive Plan was adopted by City Council on August 14, 2018 (Resolution No. 13152-18). This plan will serve as the general guide for future investment in and development of Newport News over the next 20 years. The plan contains the City's official policies on land use, urban design, transportation, housing, public facilities and services, environment, and economic development. The One City, One Future 2040 Comprehensive Plan aligns with the City's Strategic Priorities, which guide the use of city resources. This plan is the guide for making the decisions that will reinvigorate our city and address our needs; it provides a clear vision for the future and strategies to leverage our strengths and opportunities to ensure that we thrive both economically and socially. Citizen input informed and guided the planning process under the direction of the Comprehensive Plan Citizen Advisory Committee, which was appointed by the Planning Commission.
One City, One Future 2040 is organized into six chapters:
- Chapter 1 - Introduction
- Chapter 2 - Existing Conditions
- Chapter 3 - Planning Legacy
- Chapter 4 - The Dream
- Chapter 5 - Future Land Use and Transportation Plan
- Chapter 6 - Plan Implementation, Monitoring and Amendments
The Plan is organized around themes to help us more clearly align goals and strategies and establish priorities for implementation. The six themes are:
- A Prosperous and Resilient City explores our economic vitality and whether we are equipped to adapt and bounce back in the face of adversity. It also looks at our overall ability to meet the basic needs of our population.
- A Sustainable City acknowledges the impact our growth pattern has on our ecosystem and delivery of services, and examines the ways we can more responsibly use our resources to the needs of the present without compromising the needs of the future.
- An Accessible City examines the housing and transportation opportunities and choices we provide to our citizens at all income levels.
- A Healthy and Safe City explores how we support citizens with premier facilities and services and promote livability.
- A City that Respects its Uniqueness acknowledges our history and examines ways to preserve, promote and celebrate our natural and cultural assets.
- A City that Balances Good Places and New Spaces explores our land use patterns and the character of our established neighborhoods to determine how we can best preserve and respect the old while inviting the new.