The Workers' Compensation Section submits, tracks and reviews workers’ compensation claims to ensure timely reporting and to ensure employee and management compliance with city policies and the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Act. It also coordinates with the City’s Third Party Administrator's (TPA), physicians, City Attorney, employees, managers, and provides guidance and support to city departments regarding workers’ compensation policies and procedures, alternative duty program to include the handling of occupational exposures.
If an injury occurs during the course of employment:
- Assess the situation to determine level of care.
- In case of an emergency the injured person should never attempt to transport themselves, or have their friends or non-medical co-workers transport them to an emergency care medical facility. Call 911 for conditions requiring Emergency Care.
- Give appropriate first aid.
- For non-emergency care, direct the employee to employees’ choice of City of Newport News approved medical providers.
- Click here to file a workers compensation claim. You will need to log in using your LTS username and password.
Workers Compensation Forms
- Employee Information Letter
- Express Scripts Temporary Prescription ID Card
- Question & Answer Brochure
- City of Newport News Personnel Administrative Manual Section 1202: Occupational Injury and Disease Policy
- Workers Compensation Claim Form
For more valuable and important Workers’ Compensation related information, please visit the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission’s webpage
Department of Human Resources Workers’ Compensation
Phone: 757-926-1800, Option #4
All work-related incidents resulting in employee injury or illness and/or property damage must be investigated and reported to the Human Resource department within 7 days of the incident using this link:
- Investigations should be conducted at the SUPERVISOR level or above.
- This report DOES NOT supersede or replace departmental reporting requirements to Senior Safety Officers or Safety Representatives.
For any questions regarding this form or the requirements to report please contact the City’s Safety Program Administrator 926-1800; firstname.lastname@example.org.