Cancellations & Closings
Our main office is now open to the public, Monday - Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You may also contact us by phone at 757-926-1400 or email us directly at our Parks and Recreation email.
Changes in operations due to the COVID-19 Pandemic (updated 8/24/2021)
All operations are currently open and operating normally, unless otherwise noted below:
- Huntington Park Tennis Center is only accepting credit card payments at this time.
- Lee Hall Mansion and Endview Plantation are open Thursday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Virginia War Museum is open Thursday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Recreation Centers are open with restrictions and limited hours.
- Youth Programs has limited program offerings and restricted enrollment.
- The Peninsula Regional Animal Shelter requests that all patrons wear masks when visiting the shelter for adoptions, reclaims and surrenders.
Weather Closings/Cancellations Policies:
In the case of inclement weather, park visitors are asked to call 757-888-3333 for updates before visiting a park facility. If the City has remained open, visitors can also call 757-926-1400 for more information.
When it is announced that Newport News Public Schools are closed or delayed but the City of Newport News is operating on normal business hours, the following programs may be impacted:
When it is announced that City of Newport News City Offices are closed, Youth Programs will be closed as well.
- If Newport News City Schools are closed and the City of Newport News Offices remain open, Youth Programs will operate 8:00 AM-5:30 PM at the Brittingham Midtown Community Center (or until city offices close). Each child should bring a lunch. The consolidation site location could be moved based on emergency shelter locations and space needed.
- Please note that if there is a delay during the school year, Youth Programs operates on the same delay, i.e for a one hour delay, Youth Programs will open it's centers at 7:00 AM.
- If schools close early, schools that have an afternoon program will open, however, you will have to pick up your child up before 5:30 p.m.
- For more information or clarification of operations, please call the main office at 757-926-1400. For general announcements, call the administrative voice mail at 757-926-7282 or your center's voice mail.
The closing and cancellations of Athletic Programs will be decided on a case by case basis, and may be impacted by field conditions. For cancellation information, please call 757-591-4892.
During inclement weather, Instructional Programs will be closed if the City of Newport News is closed. If the City opens on a delay, classes and programs held before facilities open will be rescheduled. Classes and programs scheduled once facilities are open will run a scheduled.
In the event Newport News Public Schools dismiss/close early, Instructional Programs classes will operate until facilities close. Classes and programs scheduled to run after facilities close will be rescheduled.
During class sessions, participants may call the Instructional Programs notification service at 757-926-7277 or the main office at 757-926-1400 for program schedules and details.
All Active Lifestyles programs, classes and senior centers will be closed when City Offices are closed or delayed. In addition, the Active Lifestyles Program will be closed when Parks, Recreation & Tourism programs/facilities are closed. Please call 757-926-1400 or 757-926-1446 for program-specific closings and updates.