Phillip D. Jones, Mayor
Term Expires December 31, 2026
Mayor Jones can be contacted by emailing emailing the Mayor's Office, calling 757-926-8403 or by mailing the address below.Mayor's Office
City of Newport News
2400 Washington Avenue, 10th Floor
Newport News, VA 23607
Phillip D. Jones is the 27th Mayor of Newport News, Virginia. In this role, he strives to improve education, invest in public safety, and modernize City Hall. On January 10, 2023, Mayor Jones took the oath of office as the city's youngest-elected mayor.
Over the last decade, Mayor Jones has served in leadership roles in the public and private sectors. As a Marine Corps infantry officer, he led his Marines to support peacekeeping and security cooperation missions on multiple continents. As a management consultant with a leading global firm, he advised Fortune 500 companies, municipalities, and nonprofits on strategy, marketing, organization, and operations across all industries.
In the wake of 9/11, Mayor Jones accepted a nomination to the United States Naval Academy, where he graduated with merit with a Bachelor of Science in History. He completed his graduate course of studies at the Harvard Business School and Harvard Kennedy School, where he served as a Tillman Scholar and Co-President of the Veterans Club. He holds a Master of Business Administration (MBA) and a Master of Public Policy (MPP).
Mayor Jones' vision is for Newport News to become an All-American City, focused on leveraging public-private partnerships, modernizing City Hall processes, and elevating the Newport News narrative on a national level.
- United States Naval Academy, Bachelor of Science, History, 2012
- Harvard Kennedy School, Master of Public Policy (MPP), 2021
- Harvard Business School, Master of Business Administration (MBA), 2021
- Life Member, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
- Board of Trustees, Veterans Service Foundation
- Board Member, Ironbound Boxing
- Member, Hampton Roads Community Foundation
- Member, Leadership Now Project
- Former Member, Newport News Planning Commission